PVC Pipe Legislation
L&I Holds Public Hearing on Plumbing Code Amendments
On March 11, 2010, L&I held a public hearing on proposed regulations to the Philadelphia Plumbing Code at 9am in 1515 Arch Street. A significant number of union leaders testified. In addition, David Perlman testified for the Building Industry Association.
The amendments to the regulations put into law the “approved point of disposal” language that will end Plumbing Code jurisdiction at a stormwater or water reuse BMP. The amendments also create a user friendly table explaining when certain types of pipe can be used. For the first time, plastic pipe could be used underground.
Union leaders made several points in their testimony. These included:
- The process is not the correct manner in which to amend the Code. Such changes should go before City Council, the Board of Building Standards or State Labor and Industry. Process must be transparent and allow all industry stakeholders to speak. City Council already has pending legislation on these changes: Bills 080953 and 09297.
- The Mechanical Contractors Association wishes to maintain the integrity and viability of the Plumbing Code.
- Cast iron pipe is superior because it can carry much greater loads and its longevity has been tested while plastic pipe has only been around since the 1970’s.
- The union is not anti-PVC but wants to see the responsible use of PVC.
- The Plumbing Advisory Board should be put back in place. It should not have been dissolved in 2008. Advisory Board could perform due diligence on proposed changes.
- Philadelphia is a unique city and we need a unique code not a one size fits all, cookie-cutter plumbing code.
- The next largest city after NYC to adopt the International Plumbing Code is Pittsburgh. More than half of the country uses International Codes but have not adopted the Plumbing Code including NJ and Maine.
The Building Industry Association stated that they support L&I’s interpretation of the Code. The ability to use plastic pipe for underground use will result in substantial savings for homeowner and will send a welcome signal to homebuilders and the business community.
View proposed Plumbing Code Amendments.
Hearing on Bill 090297 Held Until Fall
At the request of Councilman Clarke, the scheduled hearing on Tuesday, June 2 at 10:00 AM has been postponed until the fall.
Bill 090297: Councilman Clarke Introduces PVC Pipe Ordinance
Introduced by Clarke on April 16, 2009, Bill 090297 would allow the underground use of ABS plastic pipe and PVC plastic pipe under certain terms and conditions.
Bill 080953: Public Hearing and Committee Meeting on PVC Pipe Ordinance March 18
The Committee on Licenses and Inspections will hold a Public Hearing Wednesday, March 18, 2009, at 1:00 PM, in Room 400, City Hall, to hear testimony on Bill 080953, which would allow the use of ABS plastic pipe and PVC plastic pipe under certain terms and conditions. Immediately following the public hearing, a meeting of the Committee on Licenses and Inspections, open to the public, will be held to consider action on the bill.
Legislative Update 2009 Archives
- 12/11/2009 Bill 090841: International Building Code     (CurrentCurrentCurrentCurrent)
- 09/18/2009 Bill 090520: Economic Opportunity Plans     (CurrentCurrentCurrent)
- 09/18/2009 Zoning Board of Adjustment Legislation     (CurrentCurrentCurrent)
- 09/16/2009 Community Restoration and Revitalization Act     (CurrentCurrentCurrentCurrentCurrentCurrent)
- 09/09/2009 Plan C Budget     (CurrentCurrentCurrentCurrentCurrentCurrent)
- 08/13/2009 Mayor’s Task Force Makes Recommendations on Tax Structure and Development Climate     (CurrentCurrentCurrent)
- 05/18/2009 Mayor’s Task Force on Tax Policy & Economic Competitiveness     (Current)
- 05/13/2009 Bill 090349: Councilmember Krajewski Proposes Delaware River Conservation District     (CurrentCurrentCurrentCurrentCurrentCurrent)
- 04/24/2009 Bill 090326: First Philadelphia Program     (CurrentCurrentCurrent)
- 04/21/2009 Bill 090127: Authorizes L&I to Extend Permit Expiration Dates     (Current)
- 04/21/2009 Bill 090127: Authorizes L&I to Extend Permit Expiration Dates     (CurrentCurrent)
- 04/21/2009 Bill 090191: Prohibits ZBA Special Approvals from Being Transferred to Another Parcel     (CurrentCurrentCurrent)
- 04/21/2009 Bill 090294: PCPC Approval of Plans of Development in Commercial Entertainment District     (CurrentCurrentCurrentCurrentCurrentCurrent)
- 04/21/2009 Bill 090190: Provisions for Bicycle Parking Introduced     (CurrentCurrentCurrent)
- 03/13/2009 Tax Abatement Legislation     (CurrentCurrentCurrent)
- 03/11/2009 PVC Pipe Legislation     (CurrentCurrentCurrent)
- 03/05/2009 Bill 090170: Central Delaware Riverfront Overlay District     (CurrentCurrentCurrent)
- 03/05/2009 Bill 080025: LEED Certification for Publicly Funded Buildings     (CurrentCurrentCurrent)
- 02/17/2009 Transit-Oriented Development Legislation     (CurrentCurrentCurrent)